Welcome to Naval Weapons Station Yorktown
The land of Naval Weapons Station Yorktown is rich in colonial history. The station sits amidst a setting of natural beauty surrounded by the distant echo of the first settlers in Virginia and the battle cries of the Revolutionary War. The site of the weapons station was acquired for the Navy by a presidential proclamation on August 7, 1918, and was at the time the largest naval installation in the world, its land area covering about twenty square miles. In 1932, the Navy Mine Depot became the Naval Mine Depot in recognition of expanded ordnance support. Then, on August 7, 1958, on the Station’s 40th anniversary, the name was changed to Naval Weapons Station Yorktown, again in recognition of a much expanded mission for naval ordnance. Today, the installation and its tenant commands continue to provide critical fleet ordnance support for the Navy.
Naval Weapons Station Yorktown hosts 33 tenant commands which include the Navy Munitions Command Atlantic, the Naval Ophthalmic Support and Training Activity, the Marine Corps Security Force Regiment, Navy Expeditionary Logistics Support Group, Naval Expeditionary Medical Support Command, Navy Cargo Handling Battalion One and 19 departments.