An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Vehicle Registration

Registration & Licensing Requirements:
New Jersey State law requires you to have sufficient liability insurance and a valid driver’s license in order to operate a vehicle. The term “vehicle” generally includes automobiles, motorcycles, vans, trailers and boats regularly parked or garaged overnight. Further, your vehicle must be properly registered. Even though you are in the military, you may be required to register your vehicle in-state and obtain an in-state license within a few months of arriving. Access complete information on insurance, driver’s licensing, and where and how to register your vehicle by visiting the State Department of Motor Vehicles website.

New Jersey Driver's License:
Military members with a current out-of-state license do not need a NJ license. Family members working in NJ are required to have a New Jersey license. Family members registering a vehicle in NJ must have a NJ driver's license. For additional information; the New Jersey DMV has an excellent web site; including the New Jersey Driver's Manual.

Driving Age - You must be 18 years of age to operate a motor vehicle in NJ. Please check with the New Jersey Department of Motor Vehicles for minimum age-required to obtain a learner's permit, and, for under age 18 military family members who have a valid driver's license from another state, and are driving an auto registered out-of-state. Most high schools in the local area offer classroom-only driver's education. Behind-the-wheel classes are available through local adult and community college education program; prices may vary, call to check costs.

If you are returning from overseas and your stateside license has expired, you must bring your original birth certificate, or a certified copy. If you are unable to obtain either, call the DMV and ask for other acceptable forms of identification; a passport is considered acceptable, for example; or pick up a copy of the New Jersey Driver Manual at the Military & Family Support Center or access the Manual online. Military retiree and family member ID's ("dependent") are not considered adequate ID when applying for a NJ driver's license.

State Laws:
You and your passengers must always wear seatbelts while driving; you will be ticketed and issued heavy fines if seatbelts are not secured. State law requires that all children under 7 years of age and 80 pounds be properly restrained in child seats. Some states also require younger, smaller children to sit in the back seat. Motorcycles and their operators are subject to special laws. If you own and operate a motorcycle, you must comply with those laws. Visit the State Department of Motor Vehicles website for more information. Many States and local jurisdictions have strict laws about the use of cell phones and other digital devices while driving. Research these laws on the State Department of Motor Vehicles website. Tickets will be issued and fines assessed for violating these laws. Play it safe and always use a “hands free” device if you must use a cell phone or other PDA while driving. Hands-free devices must be used while operating a motor vehicle on all military installations worldwide.

Google Translate Disclaimer

Commander, Navy Region Mid Atlantic   |   1510 Gilbert St.   |   Norfolk, VA 23511
Official U.S. Navy Website