MANAGERS AND SUPERVISORS RESPONSIBILITIES:
...shore activities and commands, Commanders, Commanding Officers, Directors, and Officers in Charge shall ensure that senior management and first line supervision support the OSH program to the extent of their authority and responsibility by:
- Setting the example for subordinates
- Promptly correcting recognized hazards
- Clearly defining and assigning individual OSH responsibilities to subordinates
- Documenting OSH performance in evaluation of subordinates in consonance with section 0207.l
- Ensuring employees receive appropriate OSH training, participating in OSH committees or meetings, and conducting stand up OSH meetings where required
- Conducting or participating in worksite inspections, including those made by the activity OSH personnel
- Encouraging safety awareness through incentives and awards programs
- Receiving training appropriate to their level of responsibility and authority, per chapter 6. NAVOSH orientation training does not need to be repeated with subsequent assignments to other levels of management unless significant OSH related changes have occurred.
- Acquiring, maintaining and requiring the use of approved personal protective equipment, approved safety equipment and other devices necessary to protect employees
- Encouraging a free flow of information and ideas from employees on methods of improving the safety of their workplaces, work practices and work processes. Developing a reward process for outstanding safety contributions.
Ref: OPNAVINST 5100.23 (series) , Chapter 2, paragraph 0207